Happy 4th of July everyone!! We had a fabulous meal themed to Captain America: The First Avenger.
We went to Tim's parents house and celebrated the holiday with Gene, Cindy, our friend John, Tim's Uncle Nick, Aunt Dawn, and his cousins Liane and Kollen. It was a great party and of course, we finished off the night by shooting off some fireworks!
For dinner, we had a Red White and Bleu Cheese Burger, Fourth of July Firecracker dogs, All-American Corn on the Cob, Steve Rogers' Fruit Shield, Captain America's Patriotic drink, and Stars and Stripes Cheesecake Shots. YUM!!!
We had three items that needed to be put on the grill so Gene made this awesome set up so we could do the burgers, dogs, and corn all at the same time! The dogs needed to be "baked" so he created an oven in the grill! Pretty handy!
The burgers were cooked on the grill for about 15 minutes. It was then placed on a bun, topped with a tomato and bleu cheese. We also had a whole bunch of other condiments so people could doctor up their burgers any way they wanted!
Fourth of July Firecracker Dogs
We found the idea here but cooked them on the grill instead.
2 cans of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
12 Colby Jack cheese stars
12 Hot dogs
1. (We actually did this part last… I suggest trying it first!) Pierce the hot dog with the skewer and enough to put a star on the top. Be careful because you could end up with some crooked wieners!
2. Wrap the Crescent rolls around the dog in a spiral fashion
3. Cook/Bake the dogs on the grill for 20 minutes.
4. Once the crescent roll is golden brown, remove from heat and let cool.
5. Once it has cooled, place colby jack cheese star on top of the firecracker dog
All-American Corn on the Cob
1. Soak corn with husks in water for an hour
2. Remove corn from water and remove corn silk
3. Keep the husks on and cook on the grill for twenty minutes
4. Remove from grill and let cool
5. Once it has cooled, remove the husks and serve with butter
Steve Rogers' Shield Fruit Tray
Captain America's Patriotic Drink
I found the recipe here.
Pina Colada Mix
Blue Kool-aid (pre made)
1. Fill glass with ice
2. Fill glass 1/3 full with cherry sprite
3. Add grenadine until it gets a nice red
4. Pour the Pina Colada mix over a spoon to get a good layered look until it's another 1/3 full
5. Add blue Kool-aid until glass is near full
Also to drink, Cindy found Red, White and Blue wines! A great find!
Stars and Stripes Cheese Cake Shots (makes 12)
I found a great recipe here:
Puff Pastry Sheet
White Crystal Sprinkles
32 oz of cream cheese
1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon of sugar
8oz of Cool Whip
10 graham crackers
Fresh Blueberries and Raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Flour a cutting board and roll out puff pastry dough
3. Sprinkle the white crystal sprinkles all over the puff pastry
4. Cut puff pastry into stars using a cookie cutter (about 16)
5. Place in the oven and cook for 12 minutes until brown, remove from heat
6. Beat Cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a mixer until smooth
7. Gently stir in Cool Whip until blended
8. Fill your glass half way with cream cheese mixture using a spoon.
9. Sprinkle graham cracker mix so you get a nice stripe in the center
10. Fill the rest of the way with cream cheese mix
11. Add a dusting of graham crackers
12. Add a pastry star
13. Add Blueberries and Raspberries
14. Repeat steps 8-13 for all glasses
15. Refrigerate for 4 hours and serve chilled
We had a fabulous dinner and a great holiday that finished with Fireworks!
Tim also met Captain America on our Honeymoon last year!
If you liked this dinner, check out our Avengers dinner!!