Happy Chinese New Year!!!!!!!!!! We celebrated with Mulan! I LOVE MULAN! I can't help punching the air during the "Be A Man" song! LET'S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS…. (you wanna sing "to defeat the Huns" just admit it!)
Tonight's dinner was a Chinese Extravaganza!!! It was sooo good! (I'm a little biased…because I LOVE all Chinese Food!) I went a little crazy on groceries… I bought a ton of stuff. Here is the table of ingredients we used for tonight's dinner…
Pretty crazy!!! Huh?!?
For dinner we had Cri-Kee's Lucky Cucumber Salad, Mushu's Moo Shu Chicken Lettuce Wraps, Chien Po's Beef (Firecrackers), Pork (Potstickers), and Chicken (Potstickers), Shan Yu's Warlord Cocktail, and Mulan's Fortune Cookie Green Tea Cupcakes. Needless to say, it was a lot of food.
Cri-Kee's Lucky Cucumber Salad
I found this recipe and adapted it a bit. Original recipe can be found in this cook book: http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princess-Cookbook-Book-Group/dp/1423163249
1 1/2 Cucumber, sliced thin
3 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1/8 Thai Ginger infused salt
1/8 Red Pepper Flakes
Mix them all together and serve in a bowl.
Mushu's Moo Shu Chicken Lettuce Wraps
This is a Copy Cat P.F. Chang's recipe: http://damndelicious.net/2014/05/30/pf-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps/
1 Tbsp EVOO
1 pound of ground chicken
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Rice wine vinegar
1 inch of freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon of Sriracha
1 8oz can of water chestnuts, sliced
4 green onions, chopped
1 head of butter lettuce
Dash of Thai Ginger infused salt
1. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium high heat and add ground chicken until brown. 5 minutes.
2. Stir in garlic, medium yellow onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and Sriracha for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in chestnuts and green onions until chestnuts are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Pull leaves off of the head of lettuce and place mixture inside. Serve taco-style.
I bought three kinds of appetizers that were easy to make in the oven or stovetop to fit the song "A Girl Worth Fighting For" when Chien Po sing, "I couldn't care less what she wears or what she looks like. It all depends on what she cooks like. Beef. Pork. Chicken."
So I got Beef Chinese Firecrackers.
And Chicken Potstickers
I also served it with some brown rice
Shan Yu's Warlord Cocktail:
Found on this site but we added our own measurements: http://www.incrediblethings.com/food/disney-princess-cocktails/
2oz Ginger Liqueur
1 full bottle of Angry Orchard Cider
This one is my favorite drink so far!
Mulan's Fortune Cookie Green Tea Cupcakes
Found on this site but I adapted a bit: http://www.imperialsugar.com/recipes/desserts/cupcakes/Green-Tea-Cupcakes-with-Matcha-Cream-Cheese-Frosting
3/4 cup of all purpose flour
3/4 cup of cake flour (apparently they are different… so just trust me… k? )
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 stick of melted unsalted butter
2/3 cup of Sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Zest of 2 lemons
2/3 cup of green tea
8 oz of cream cheese (room temperature)
1/4 cup of unsalted melted butter
2 cups of Powdered Sugar
1 tablespoon of Matcha Powder (hard to find! I bought Matcha powder tea packets and cut them up and measured a tablespoon)
Zest of 1 lemon
9 fortune cookies
*yes that means you will have 3 lemons without their zest at the end of this dessert… it's worth it!
1. Start boiling water in your tea kettle. When your tea kettle starts whistling, pour a cup of water and steep the green tea bag for a few minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake tin with paper liners.
3. In your electric mixer bowl (paddle attachment works best), beat melted butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in eggs and then add vanilla and zest of two lemons until well combined.
5. Add in flour, cake flour, baking powder, salt, and 2/3 cup of the green tea. Slowly. After each ingredient, mix well.
6. Pour batter evenly (as best you can) into muffin tray and bake for 15 minutes.
7. For the frosting: rinse out bowl and beat the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffily for 2 minutes. Add in powdered sugar until fully incorporated.
8. Add Matcha powder and lemon zest for 2 minutes.
9. Once muffins are out of the oven and cool, use a spatula and smother the cupcakes with frosting and place a fortune cookie on top!
They were amazing!
It was a fabulous dinner! With TONS of leftovers!! YUMMM!