YAY FOR MARDI GRAS!!! We had a Princess and the Frog theme dinner to prepare for Fat Tuesday tomorrow!
We had our little Masquerade party with Tim's brother Bill and his girlfriend Megan!
This coincided with a visit from Bill and Megan perfectly since The Princess and the Frog is Megan's favorite Disney Movie! We have done Bill's (Aladdin) and Tim's (Lion King) favorite movies too! I guess mine is next!!
For dinner we had a Southern Smorgasbord! We had Naveen's Quick Jambalaya, Southern Spoon Bread, Ray's Confetti Corn, Tiana's Green Bean Casserole, a Bayou Beauty Cocktail, and Beignets with Chicory Coffee for dessert!
Naveen's Quick Jambalaya
The recipe we found in one of our cookbooks but we varied it quite a bit. Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/361096004609?lpid=82&chn=ps
1 lb of cubed chicken
1 lb of kielbasa sausage, sliced
1 medium yellow onion
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (remove seeds)
1 medium stalk of celery, sliced
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of flour
14.5 can of whole tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons of steak sauce
1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
2 cups of cooked rice
1. Cook rice in rice cooker
2. Heat oil in a large pot and add chicken and cook for 8-10 minutes until light brown.
3. Stir in sausage, onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook until vegetables are tender.
4. Mix water and flour. Then stir into chicken mixture. Cook until thickened.
5. Stir in tomatoes, steak sauce and pepper sauce. Heat until boiling, reduce heat and simmer for about ten minutes.
6. Stir in rice and enjoy!
Southern Spoon Bread
We based our recipe off of the Disney cook book we got! Link here: http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princess-Cookbook-Book-Group/dp/1423163249
2 cups of milk
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of cornmeal
2 eggs (separated)
2 tablespoons of honey
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9x11 pan with Pam.
2. Heat milk and water in a large saucepan over medium heat. As soon as it begins to boil, turn heat to low. Add butter and salt.
3. Slowly whisk the cornmeal into the milk mixture. Stir until it thickens. Remove from heat.
4. Separate egg yolks and egg whites into two bowls.
5. Beat the egg whites with a mixer until they are foamy.
6. Beat yolks, honey, and baking powder with a fork. Then add it to the milk mixture. Then fold in the foamy egg whites.
7. Pour the batter into the 9x11 pan and bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
8. Serve with honey.
Ray's Confetti Corn
We based our recipe off of the Disney Princess cook book we got! Link here: http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princess-Cookbook-Book-Group/dp/1423163249
1/2 of a diced red bell pepper (seeds removed)
2 cups of corn
4 strips of bacon
1 tsp of dried basil
1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp of Cajun Seasoning
1. Cook bacon in a small skillet until cooked. Remove from pan.
2. While bacon is cooking, cook corn in a 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer for 6 minutes. Set aside
3. Add red pepper to the skillet (with bacon grease) and let cook for two minutes.
4. Add cooked corn, bacon (cut up with kitchen scissors), basil, butter, cajun seasoning, salt, pepper.
5. Stir and serve
Tiana's Green Bean Casserole
We based our recipe off of the Disney cook book we got! Link here: http://www.amazon.com/Merry-Christmas-Cookbook-Disney-Group/dp/1423163222/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424142526&sr=8-1&keywords=merry+christmas+cookbook
3 cups of green beans
10.5 oz of can of mushroom soup
1/4 cup of milk
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 cups of texas toast fried onions
1 cup of cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook green beans in a bag. Poke holes into the bag and stick in the microwave for 4 minutes. Then cut beans in half.
2. Add beans, soup, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 1 1/2 cups of fried onions in a casserole dish. Then bake for 15 minutes.
3. Open the oven and add in last 1/2 cup of fried onions and shave cheese on top. Return to the oven for 5 minutes.
Bayou Beauty Cocktail
I found the idea on this site (but we came up with our own measurements): https://www.facebook.com/Codys.cocktails
1 part of Cruzan Rum (no flavor)
3 parts of Ginger Liqueur
Slices of Cucumber
Beignets and Chicory Coffee
We got pre-made mixes to use for this meal for Christmas. We followed the directions accordingly.
For the coffee, we heated up some milk to serve the coffee cafe au lait.
And here was our glorious dessert!!
It was a fabulous dinner!!!!
And in case you were wondering…. we have discussed who we love from our favorite Disney movies: My disney crush is John Smith from Pocahontas. Megan's is Prince Naveen but not as a frog from Princess and the Frog. Bill's crush is Jasmine from Aladdin. Tim, refusing to play, chose the magic carpet from Aladdin.