My brother Jake got us a three month subscription to "Try The World" where they send you fun food items from all over the world. In our holiday box, we had a box of Croquants A L'Ecorce D'Orange cookies from Morocco. So I made a dinner around that themed to Casablanca!
For dinner, we had Moroccan Meatballs, Garlic Herb Couscous, Dates stuffed with Gournay Cheese, Rick's Gin Joint Gin and Tonic, and Croquants A L'Ecorce D'Orange cookies.
I found the recipe here and sort of melded it with our Lady and the Tramp meatballs and the results were amazing!
Ingredients for meatballs:
1.25lbs of ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
a pinch of chili powder
2 tablespoons of Tandoori spice
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
Ingredients for sauce:
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 14.5oz cans of diced, peeled tomatoes
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and use cooking spray to cover the baking sheet.
2. Mix together all of the meatball ingredients in a bowl
3. Roll into golf ball size meatballs and stick in the over for 22 minutes (or until golden brown)
4. In a small pot, add olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 onion, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of coriander and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Serve with sauce over the meatballs
Garlic Herb Couscous:
We just found some boxed couscous at the grocery store and it was quite good!
Dates stuffed with Gournay Cheese:
We bought pitted dates and Tim cut them lengthwise. He then stuffed them with Boursin Gournay Cheese spread. Yummy and SOO easy!
Rick's Gin Joint Gin and Tonic:
1 part Gin
2 parts Tonic Water
Croquants A L'Ecorce D'Orange cookies from our Try The World box:
We had an excellent and cohesive dinner!