We travel to the other side of the world from last week's tropical Hawaiian feast for Lilo and Stitch to a wintery Norwegian blowout for Frozen! Our friends KC and John were here to join in on the festivities!
For dinner, we had Arendelle's Lefse, Elsa's Snowy Mac and Cheese, Sven and Kristoff's Shared Carrots, Troll Stones, the Cold Front Cocktail, and for dessert, Olaf's Snowy Macaroons.
I love lefse and use any excuse to eat it! We just bought some at the grocery store and doctored it up with butter and sugar.
Elsa's Snowy Mac and Cheese
I got this recipe out of this amazing cookbook and changed it up a little bit.
3 cups of cauliflower
1 box of elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons of olive oil, separated
2 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons of flour
1.5 cups of milk
7oz of sharp white cheddar cheese
2 cups of mozzarella cheese
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons of salt
1. Chop up the cauliflower into bite size pieces (using a whole head of cauliflower, we used about 1/3).
2. Over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add chopped cauliflower.
3. Cook cauliflower until golden brown, stirring often. Keep on low heat.
4. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Set aside.
5. Over medium-low heat, add remaining oil and butter to a large pan.
6. When butter is melted, add flour and whisk together for 2 minutes.
7. Add milk slowly and turn the heat up to medium.
8. Once the mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat.
9. Add both cheeses, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and salt. Mix together well.
10. Add cauliflower and macaroni to the mixture and serve warm.
Sven and Kristoff's Shared Carrots
We just washed and peeled carrots!
I found this recipe here and it's so simple and amazing!
18oz of grape jelly (per the recipe, I bought the used Welch's squeeze bottle of Concord Grape Jelly)
18 oz of Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory barbecue sauce
2lbs of frozen prepared meatballs (I had to get two packages)
The Cold Front
I found the ingredients here but we didn't have the recipe so we just did all equal parts!
2oz White Chocolate
2oz Peppermint Schnapps
*I just had 8oz of straight up milk. #pregnancyproblems
Olaf's Snowy Macaroons
I found this recipe here and changed it a bit.
1 1/3 cups of flaked coconut
2 tablespoons of flour
1/3 cup of sugar
a dash of salt
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. In a bowl, combine coconut, flour, sugar and salt.
3. Stir in eggs and vanilla
4. Shape round teaspoons and put it on a greased baking sheet.
5. Cook for 17 minutes until it's golden brown.
*I had made these for Christmas and they were fabulous and looked perfect! However, I made them for this dinner and they didn't stay as beautifully round... I might add a bit more flour to make it less sticky?? The flavor is amazing!
We had an awesome dinner and the food went together really well!!
I did have to break out my fabulous Elsa sweatshirt for the occasion!