For tonight's dinner, we did a Rio theme! I had never seen the movie but knew a little bit about it. Olivia LOVED all of the bright colors and the beginning takes place in Minnesota!
For dinner we had Lionel's Chicken Dinner, Cafe Rio's Queso Dip and Chips, Blu's Bird Food, Jabuticaba Caipirihna, and Macaw-pcakes
Lionel's Chicken Dinner
Two chicken breasts cut in half
Flour (about a cup)
Panko Bread Crumbs (about a cup)
1 teaspoon of Paprika
Salt and Pepper
Acai Glaze from Try the World
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. On a shallow plate mix the flour, salt, pepper, and paprika.
3. On a second shallow plate, beat the egg
4. On a third shallow plate, spread out the Panko crumbs.
5. Dip (and coat thoroughly) each chicken piece in the flour mixture, followed by the egg mixture and finish with the Panko bread crumbs
6. Brush both sides of the chicken pieces with olive oil.
7. Bake chicken for 10 minutes, flip each piece, and cook for 14 more minutes on the other side.
8. Add desired amount of Acai Glaze... which is amazing btw.
Cafe Rio's Queso Dip and Chips
I found this recipe here and made it a tad less spicy!
2 cups of cheddar cheese
2oz of cream cheese
1 cup of salsa
1/8 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon of Cumin
1/4 teaspoon of Chili Powder
1. Mix together both cheeses in a saucepan on medium heat until fully melted.
2. Add the salsa and spices until warm.
3. Serve in a bowl with chips.
Blu's Bird Food
I combined Cheerios, Gummy Worms, and M&Ms
Mint Leaves (6)
3 tablespoons of Jabuticaba Jam, from the Try the World box
1 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 of a lime cut into wedges
3/4 cup of club soda
1/4 cup of rum (cachaca, if you have it)
I used our cupcake recipe from The Lorax dinner.
For the icing, I bought white icing and added two drops of teal gel food coloring drops. I covered all of the cupcakes with the blue frosting. Then I took the Oreos and carefully split them in half and used the icing side as eyes (two icing side Oreos for each cupcake). I used mini M&Ms as the beak (orange) and two for the eyes (I used blue and brown to reflect the characters). To adhere the Iris in place, I used white/clear frosting.